Re: Manually operated crossings in Melb?

Greg Arnoldussen <gregga@primus.com.au> wrote in message
37FAF59D.47D41B0E@primus.com.au">news:37FAF59D.47D41B0E@primus.com.au...
> Apart from the manually controlled level crossings which (sadly) closed
> along the Upfield line in Melbourne earlier this year, are there any
> currently operating along the line to Flemington Racecourse/Showgrounds
> or have they now been automated?

Boom Barrier now.

The only hand gates left are at New Street Brighton, on the Sandy line

> By the way, I live near the old railway reserve (now a bike track) which
> runs through Princes Park and finishs (according to my old edition 4
> Melways) in Edinburgh gardens, Fitzroy - when did it close and when were
> the tracks removed?

The Inner Circle, up till 1966 this was Double Line from Royal Park to North
Fitzroy, with a branch to Fitzroy Goods (Train Staff & Ticket). the line
extended from Nth Fitzroy to both Rushall and Merri (triangle). The line to
Merri was "LARGE" Electric Staff, (I actually ran the UP Thomastown Goods
over this section in 1965), can't remember if the Rushall leg was double or
single line.

Royal Park to Nth Fitzroy was singled in 1966 becoming "Train Staff &
Ticket" the rest, except Fitzroy Goods was closed.

The whole thing closed in the early 80's, maybe some one can give the exact
date, I do remember that Adrian Kiely (known as Lucky to NRC crews) ran the
last goods on the line and that it derailed at Nth Fitzroy requiring the
gang to replace a broken rail so that the train could get back to Melbourne
Yard.

Bob.