Re: DOO In Sydney?

In article <7t5v4l$fnd$1@lios.apana.org.au>,
C. Dewick <craigd@lios.apana.org.au> wrote:
>In <7smb0m$7mo$1@metro.ucc.usyd.edu.au> matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au (Matthew Geier) writes:
>
>This still does not address the curved platform issue, or the fact that
>because we run 8 car trains here, the driver cannot just use one camera to
>view the whole platform, even on straight platforms in some situations.

 Neither can their in Melbourne.... But such platforms are small in
number. Wollstencraft already has camera for the guard as the guard cant
see along the train either. Its a minior problem.

>How can the driver *reliably* view multiple camera inputs on a single
>screen at the same time unless the screen is platform-mounted and large

Tile the image or switch every 2 seconds. At the worst station, you
might need 3 images. So you wait for all 3 to cycle past after closing
the doors and pulling away. Besides if some one grabs a door and tries
to hold it open the new traction interlock will stop you departing anyway,
and the door open alarm would alert you to watch the screen and see who did
it.

 The fact is very few stations are that bad, and platform mounted monitors
on those few could assist.

>Perth trains are very short (no longer than 4 cars), so there's a
>fundamental problem saying that what Perth does can be directly translated
>to Sydney and it'll work like a charm.

 Rubbish. Every one likes to think 'cause we run 8 car DD trains, DOO is
impossible. Look at Melbourne, 6 car trains with 3 doors per car. Their
drivers have MORE doors to look out for, and they by and large all they
got to assist them are rear vision mirrors. The cameras and monitors are
only used on the curved problem stations. I would say the double deck part
is not in the equation, its the number of doorways!

>The fundamental issues are still being ignored by everyone as though they
>don't exist. 8-)

 Sorry, I dont see the fact that we run 8 car DD trains as any thing that
prevents DOO.  You could argue that Sydney communters a terminaly stupid,
but not that double deck 8 car trains make it impossible.