Re: Loco cab safety

Naturally the drivers union requires some demonstrated crew compartment
crashworthyness, however drivers would not want to be strapped to their
seats by seatbelts. History has shown that many drivers, given a chance,
have prefered to jump from their train prior to impact. There were times as
a driver when I felt uncomfortable with a situation and kept the cab door
open just in case.

In Australia you would expect all new drivers cabs to be subject to computer
based energy distribution simulation to demonstrate crash worthyness. As an
example,a manufacturer of a new suburban train has demonstrated that the
drivers cab should stay in tact in collisions of up to 50 km/h. Beyond that
speed requires the distubution of 1mJ of energy. This energy must be
dissipated by deformation. In this case the deformation will occur
 in the drivers cab. This is mittigated by the fact that the transverse door
and vestibule are designed to provide an escape path for the driver towards
the centre of the car. Sure there are all sorts of concerns and a few
hazards with this, but it's the best science has offered drivers so far in
terms of crashworthyness.

If you really want to know the unions policy on this matter you should
contact them direct, I don't think any of the elected reps read this group
in order to give you a bona fide union response.

EICAS

3ts04.117$mc3.3292@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:3ts04.117$mc3.3292@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...