Re: RTM (was terrier locomotives)

John Browning <ceo8@rocknet.net.au> wrote:

> It is very sad to contemplate the state of some of the RTM stuff. I agree
> that some of the greatest treasures seem to be the most neglected.
>
> Would it be too rude to suggest that anything that ran on private railways
> rather than the NSWGR doesn't really feature?
>
> John

I agree, it is sad to see things like the ancient locos down the back of
"rotten row" at Thirlmere rust away, but the answer is as it has always
been: somebody has to do the work to make them presentable. Look how
long Tom Pall & Co. have been working on 2029. Over ten years at least,
since they started just after we started on AG1007. The paid workforce
of the RTM has to work on things that bring in the money, otherwise they
just won't get paid. Unfortunately that seems to be air-conditioned
tours nowadays - does the RTM even have a servicable main line steam
loco at the moment?

This is not only an RTM problem - here in Canberra, 3016 has just been
pushed further back down the shed with nothing done on it, since I moved
here (and immediately joined the ARHS). 1210 does the honours as the
special effects machine, with a 73 class providing the grunt on all
"steam" tours here. How much does the LVR really use 5367? 5112 has
languished for years with no real work being done. Now I don't like it,
but I am afraid steam (and interest therein) is simply fading away.
Please prove me wrong!

Adrian.

--
Dr A.P. Whichello                               Phone: +61 2 6268 8191
Electrical Engineering Image Coding Laboratory    Fax: +61 2 6268 8443

"I wish to God these calculations had been executed by Steam!" C.Babbage