Re: [VIC] ideas for steam tours

David Bromage wrote:

> This sounds more like a job for ARHS than SteamRail. K+J to Yarrawonga
> should be doable in a day.
>
> Or how's this......
>
> K+J Melbourne to Seymour (or K+T)
> K to to Cobram
> J to to Yarrawonga
> (parallel run to Mangalore)
> Bus exchange betwen trains (look how close they are on the map)
> Return on the other train.
>
> I proposed an ARE/ARHS joint tour along these lines some years ago, with
> R707 to Yarrawonga and J515 to Cobram.

The problem with a tour like this is that you split you're passengers over two
trains. This would probably mean that you would need a fairly high number of
bookings because the operational cost would probably be higher than if a
double headed train operated over one line, but I could be wrong about this.
The bus would probably reduce the number of bookings as well. I wouldn't mind
a day tour to Tocumwal even if it had to be diesel hauled.

I also thought of another tour possibility:

Spencer Street - Ballarat - Maryborough - Dunolly - Inglewood - Bendigo -
Castlemaine - Maryborough - Ballarat - Spencer Street.

I can't remember a tour doing the full circle from Maryborough to Bendigo via
Inglewood and back via Castlemaine. Even if this couldn't be done by steam it
might be a possibility for a diesel tour.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au