Re: [QLD] The last SX tin sets

Graham Duffin <duffin@dyson.brisnet.org.au> wrote in article
<383d9b8f@news.st.net.au>...
> Does anyone know what is going to happen to the tin sets now they are no
> longer rostered for regular services?
>
> I've heard two rumours.
> 1) Two sets will be kept for use on excursion traffic and Exhibition
>    steam services with the remaining 7 sets will go to Townsville
>    workshops to have their bogies removed.  The bogies will then be
>    placed under the older Sunlander cars as their existing bogies need
>    replacing.  The bodies of the SX cars would then be sold.

I believe that this is the most likely option. A least two sets will be
kept for emergency use and special events like the Exhibition. Some of the
bogies are to be placed under Sunlander cars.

> 2) The other rumour is that some SX sets will be modified to replace the
>    existing wooden loco hauled carriages for steam tours and excursion
>    traffic.  The remaining sets would then be sold.

The original proposal was to use the underframes for construction of
replica wooden carriages. Further investigation revealed that the
underframes would have to be strengthened so much, it would be easier and
cheaper to build new ones and only the bogies and running gear would be
used. Now it seems the bogies are to be used for the Sunlander cars so I'm
not sure what bogies will be used under the replica cars. Before the
replica cars are built, at least 7 of the wooden cars are to be overhauled
although when the new cars are available, it is unlikely that the wooden
cars will see much use other than for special occasions like centenaries.

> Is anyone able to confirm or deny whether any of these rumours are true?
> Will preservation bodies such as the Rosewood Railway try and obtain a
> set for preservation?

The Zig Zag already has some. With QR reusing the bogies, it would be
doubtful if any will be available and QR is keeping a couple of sets
anyway.