Re: [VIC] Hypotheticals of gauge change!!

Maurie Daly wrote:

> A dual guage line is needed from Dynon to Long Island, this will be hard and
> in its most simplistic form could simply involve the dual guaging of one of
> the existing BG tracks,with bi directional running on the dual guage bit.
> Since the steel trains run in the early hours of the morning,this shouldnt
> impact a huge anount on the pass services.

Suburban traffic between Flinders Street and Caulfield can be handled by
three tracks
ala Burnley to Box Hill, therefore, the fourth track could be converted
to SG without
any real hassle. The most difficult section would be through Flinders
Street Station
on to the goods lines at Spencer Street.

> I cant see any value in guage converting lines where the majority of traffic
> is pass trains.

> The above scenerio would require NXP to run its Albury pass trains
> on SG,which would require a small number of additional platforms to be built
> beyond Seymour,and a more substantial platform at Seymour.

> The reason for closing the BG beyond Seymour is simply to increase the traffic
> density on the SG line which would eventually bring down access charges and
> help to fund line improvements.

The best way to provide passenger platforms on SG from Seymour to Albury
would be
to divert the SG through the existing BG platforms or, where needed,
install an SG
loop through the platform thus providing extra crossing places. Probably
only
Seymour, Benalla, Wangaratta and Wodonga would require the treatment.
(Waits for flames from Euroa fans)

John McCallum