QGR Gympie old station reopened

Previous reports in "Sunshine Express", published by ARHS(Q),  show 9 NOV 98
as the date the track was blocked by QR between the Gympie [old] Station and
the Banks Pocket siding which is on the northern side of the station.
Earlier reports indicate the track connection to the southern end of  Gympie
station from Brisbane through Monkland was cut 1995. Thus there is no QR
rail connection to the old Gympie Station; or so I thought until I read the
latest "Sunshine Express".

A picture in the November "Sunshine Express", P.213  shows a QR train [QUT
Science Train]  at the old Gympie Station 16 AUG 99.

I assume from that picture that QR has reopened the track to the Gympie
[old] Station in town.  I would also suspect the track was only opened for
non regular use.

The usual QR facility in Gympie is the new station called "Gympie North",
opened 1988, on the deviation to the east of the main town area. The 1988
deviation avoids the hills through the historic gold mining town.

The old station is also used as a depot and passenger facility by "The Mary
Valley Heritage Railway Association" who operate weekly steam hauled
services using  C17 4-8-0 #45 on the tourist trips to Imbil which is 40  kms
by rail south west of Gympie. They also operate 2000 class railmotor trips
as well.

Cheers
Peter
Peter and/or Susan Cokley