Re: [Melb] Yarra Trams - first move...

Regarding the proposed abolition of some tram stops.
I cannot comment on most tram routes because I don't use them.
However, on the Bundoora (86) route, there are about 4 stops that could
be removed
without much discomfort to patrons.
1. stop 9 inbound outside Hard Rock Cafe. There is a suitable stop (also
stop 9)
outside Parliament House that was put in for the City Circle route to
replace it.
Trams usually have to stop there for the lights anyway.
2. stop 16 Peel Street. This stop exists for inbound patrons only.
Outbound passengers
have to use stops 15 or 17.
3. stop 28 halfway down Northcote hill. Again inbound only. Outbound
passengers have to
use stops on either side.
4. stop just north of Normanby Ave. This stop is very close to Normanby
Ave and would
not be that great an inconvenience.
It is my opinion that all other stops on this route should remain.
I agree that the best way to improve journey times is to get Vicroads to
modify traffic
signal times to allow trams to leave stops earlier.
It is amazing just how often the lights start turning red just as the
driver closes
the doors!!
As for removing trams from Acland Street, I can see the sense in this as
Acland Street
is a major cause of unpunctuality of both routes 16 and 96.
Maybe a better way would be to remove the terminus from Acland Street
and move it into
Mitford Street with standing room for 2 trams in the shunt and 1 waiting
to get in.

John McCallum