Re: 3801 - Keep It Black!!

Michael Kurkowski <mk@netstra.com.au> wrote in aus.rail:

>Hi,
>
>Everyone's got it wrong. Broad guage it, paint it blue, add an extra smoke
>stack and a diesel control stand and put a "The Westcoaster" name plate on
>the front. Paint a big white and yellow "W" on the tender. :-)

Now you're talking!! At last we could all marvel at the sight of a 38
and an R-class on a double-header

Victoria designed gauge-convertible locos from the 1920's on, but it
was never absolutely certain then as to whether 5'3" or 4'8.5" would
be the Australian standard-gauge. Were any NSWGR locos built with
gauge conversion in mind?

Les Brown