was: National Rail Corp..level playing fields

> Of course the railways did run in this country for 150 years without a
cent
> of private ownership money, but I guess this suggestion is a little bit to
> radical for some, to suggest that the government should control all
> transport???
>
> Bob.
>
>BIG BIG SNIP>>>>>>>>>>>
>From my  point of view, it seems that now that Adelaide Train Control has
got its act together and are in charge of a semi-National Network,
stretching from WA
to the Albury/Wodonga border. Freight Victoria, have little trouble gaining
accreditation in any of these areas. NSW is the problem, the mainline was
supposed to be handed over to the Feds, to link in with Adelaide, and then
we would have had a level playing field for all.
FV are seeking to employ part time drivers in Junee so as to operate wheat
trains on a short branch line, because accreditation charges, would have
made it a far cheaper option to put everything on road and leave the trains
in Melbourne. The Road Transport lobby have got the bastard politicians
firmly, and it seems permanently in their pockets. Wodonga Freight Centre
has been operating as a Private Company for some time now. They are doing a
fantastic job, and it is our job to get the containers placed by 0600 each
day. Usually we arrive Wodonga about 0300, and we place the Freight Gate
right away. Now business is booming, and the four flats, can accommodate
about 10 containers [depending on the gross weights of the containers, The
Contractor needs up to another 4 container spaces, and the growth would be
ongoing, once it started. Freight Centre in Melbourne refuses to increase
the allocation! So they run Semi Trailers[at a loss] with the overflow, and
they need to be unloaded at the Freight Gate when they arrive.
The Contractors found that the train was nearly always in position, when
they arrived to unload the semis, and started to stay on, unloading the
train as well. The customers soon learned that
their cargo could be picked up early, so they started turning up about 0500,
and now it is reasonable to truck some stuff off over the Border to Wagga
and other places..............by road!
High accreditation costs, and those in Melbourne who don't want the Freight
Gate to expand, rather, I am sure, they want to close it down soon, as
unprofitable/......
now what were we saying... Privatise and it will all start working
properly...ha  ha
Rod