Re: National Rail Corp

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999 21:59:23 GMT, mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie
Daly) wrote:

>In article <382e88ab@nap-ns1> "Grahame Ferguson" <grahamef@users.mcmedia.com.au> writes:
>>From: "Grahame Ferguson" <grahamef@users.mcmedia.com.au>
>>Subject: Re: National Rail Corp
>>Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 20:18:47 +1100
>

>>Grahame Ferguson wrote in message ...
>>>
>>>The point that we are all missing is that the creation of the NRC was
>>>supposed to be the start of seamless, one stop shop for rail freight to
>>>effectively and collectively to compete with road transport.  Instead we
>>now
>>>have a mongrel hybrid of a national rail system.
>>>
>>>The NRC are in competition with other rail operators.   They do not own any
>>>rail lines.  For them to operate a train from Sydney to Perth, they have to
>>>negotiate with 3 Rail Access Authorities, and has to comply to 3 different
>>>Accreditation authorities.  Hardly an integrated system designed to beat
>>>road transport.
>>>
>>>In Victoria we have the Department of Infrastructure, responsible for rail
>>>safety accreditation.  Victrack the owners and operators of the track.
>>>Freight Victoria who have a lease on their rail infrastructure, and are
>>>resposible to maintain it.  National Express who run the country passenger
>>>trains, half the suburban trains, and half the Trams.  Hillside Trains who
>>>run the other half of the suburban rail network.   Confused??    Victoria
>>is
>>>home to the mongrel hybrid.
>>>
>>>Governments are trying to promote competition.  But the bottom line is that
>>>Rail is competing against itself.  The Road Transport Lobby must have been
>>>the policy makers for the Federal and Victorian Governments.  The Road's
>>>competition (the Railways) has been reduced to an unco-ordinated
>>>self-destructing industry.
>>>
>>>If Rail Freight is to survive it must be run by one or two major players.
>>>If Queensland Railways bought the NRC, well at last they will be backed by
>>>pro-railway management who run an integrated railway. If FreightCorp bought
>>>it, then it would have a railway with assets and experience, and then it
>>>would have reduced competition by buying it , not by eliminating each other
>>>through bunkruptcy.
>>>
>>>Its true that all Governments stand accussed, and the slack stagnant
>>>attitude of past State Railway Bureaucracies, dug railways into a very deep
>>>pit.  But the new counter measures are counter productive and destructive.
>>>
>>>We have taken an unprooved model from the British at our peril.   In the
>>US,
>>>Freight Railroads own the tracks that they run on.  Mega - Mergers are the
>>>trend in the US, not downsizing, and they are doing this to increase their
>>>profits, and fight the common enemy - The Truck.
>>>
>>>Passenger Railroads are Government subsidised, as they provide a low
>>>pollution efficient mode of transporting the masses.  US cities are now
>>>rebuilding their urban railroads, reversing a 40 year trend.  As we are 20
> [...]
 I think that the rail transport sector needs to integrate more into
the supply chain in order to regain its competitive edge. It must be
run as a compelete transport logisitc operation with  integration to
road terminals and wharves. I would like to see someone like aTOLL and
Patricks as transport operators
There needs to be more investment in the infrastructure by the Govt.
and pricing neutrality between road and rail but after that have rail
as an arm of an enterprises' transport needs.

Regards
Andrew Honan