Re: 4D Is it or isn't it

Well theres recognition by the PTUA. Hillside just said they'd
"consider" it which in my book is a nice way of saying they don't really
want to do it unless someone forces them to.

I told them about the Joondalup line and how you manage to run off peak
trains ever 7.5 mins and have good feeder buses as well but they came up
with excuses about Perth having state of the art trains and so forth.

In article <3834e949$0$6639@motown.iinet.net.au>,
  "Graeme" <gvrail@thatsent.com.au> wrote:
> Very encouraging to see that there is a recognition about the need for
> improvements to frequencies, speed and capacity.  The Northern Suburbs
> Railway here in Perth has interpeak train frequencies of 7.5 minutes.
 That
> builds to 3.5 minutes in the peak period with express trains (they run
Perth
> [...]
> Visit www.thatsent.com.au
> Wizzer1865 <wizzer1865@aol.com> wrote in message
> 19991119005322.01090.00000681@ng-fy1.aol.com">news:19991119005322.01090.00000681@ng-fy1.aol.com...
> > >Hi,
> > >I met with Hillside upper management yesterday and we discussed
double
> > >deckers in passing. They agreed that theyre not needed but they
didn't
> > >mention what they wanted to do with the 4D.
> > >
> > >We also suggested a lot of improvements to service patterns and so
> > >forth which they said they were "considering" or would "consider",
such
> > >as off-peak and late night frequency improvements and more
expresses
> > >through the day. They acknowledged that line capacity's not an
issue.

> > >When it came to infrastructure upgrades they said basically that
they
> > >would do that which their contract required them to do and no more,
> > >which I guess reinforces the idea that lobbying on PT should be
> > >directed at government.
> > >

> > Your issue with management about service improvements is an
interesting
> one, I
> > remember once before that they had gone down that track before and
they
> said
> > then that capacity was a problem, especially between Box Hill and
> Ringwood. The
> > section back from Box Hill is set up for 90 sec spacing between
trains,
> the
> > only problem being the 2 outer tracks from Hawthorn to Box Hill and
thence
> > Blackburn have a speed of only 65 kmh, between Richmond and Hawthorn
it's
> even
> > worse with a 55 kmh limit.The centre track has a speed of 70 kmh
from
> Hawthorn
> > to Camberwell and then 80 kmh to Box Hill which is why most express
trains
> > during peak times use the centre track.What needsto be done is track
> capacity
> > between Box Hill and Ringwood needs to be increased to allow more
services
> > run. One way would be to improve signal aspects to allow greater
headway,
> also
> > trains from Belgraveand Lilydale need to only stop at Premium
stations
> from
> > Ringwood and have a stopping all stations service from Ringwood to
the
> city. Of
> > course if anyone else has a suggestion or two I would very much like
> hear it
> > as I don't consider myself an expert in these things by a long shot.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.