Re: 4D Is it or isn't it

We were talking about it in the context of off peak and evening services
rather than peak ones, and of course the lines don't magically become
able to handle fewer trains outside the peak.

They also agreed that they could fit a few extra trains in the peak if
they needed to.

PTUA vision is (from memory):
Belgrave - all stations to Ringwood then Mitcham, Blackburn, Box Hill,
Camberwell, Richmond (every 10 minutes)
Lilydale - all to Box Hill then Camberwell, Richmond, City (every 10
mins)
Stopping all stations from Blackburn or Box Hill every 10 minutes with
possibly some express running between camberwell and richmond
Alamein trains act as sweepers between camberwell and richmond

When you add in the GW trains that gives you five sets of trains each
running every 10 minutes, which is a 2 minute frequency on the Burnley
group. Its (just) possible to fit all those through the loop but PTUA
policy is half through loop, half direct to Flinders.

Vaughan

> Your issue with management about service improvements is an
interesting one, I
> remember once before that they had gone down that track before and
they said
> then that capacity was a problem, especially between Box Hill and
Ringwood. The
> section back from Box Hill is set up for 90 sec spacing between
trains, the
> only problem being the 2 outer tracks from Hawthorn to Box Hill and
thence to
> Blackburn have a speed of only 65 kmh, between Richmond and Hawthorn
it's even
> worse with a 55 kmh limit.The centre track has a speed of 70 kmh from
Hawthorn
> to Camberwell and then 80 kmh to Box Hill which is why most express
trains
> during peak times use the centre track.What needsto be done is track
capacity
> between Box Hill and Ringwood needs to be increased to allow more
services to
> run. One way would be to improve signal aspects to allow greater
headway, also
> trains from Belgraveand Lilydale need to only stop at Premium stations
from
> Ringwood and have a stopping all stations service from Ringwood to the
city. Of
> course if anyone else has a suggestion or two I would very much like
to hear it
> as I don't consider myself an expert in these things by a long shot.
>
> Regards wizzer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.