Peterbrough Station news thur18 th nov 1999.

Its 19:20 CST in Peterborough South Australia, here is an
update of what has been happening at the Station today.
As there are no passenger services through here on Thursday
and no freight until the afternoon, Transfield  took the opportunity
to bring the Tampering machine out and re pack the ballast
around the Three sets of Switches on the main line through
the town, This operation commenced at approx 10:15 and
the tamper was back off the line at 12:00 noon.

The 1st Westbound Freight was due through at 13:30  , I
wanted to take a video of the Freight thundering through
the cutting in the hills about 10 klm north of town, I had
the gear all set up when on time at 13:30 the Westbound
BHP freight came threading its way across the valley below
and up the grade to the cutting, a beautiful sight and sound
it was and well worth the effort.  The long rake of billet wagons
was empty , heading down to Whyalla for another Load.

Back at the Station the next freight through was at
 14:22 the Eastbound TNT freight  with Locos NR45 and NR46.
at the lead.
Next to thunder through over the crossing  at 14:45 was
The Eastbound BHP Freight with three locos NR105,NR47,NR 57,
with a heavy load of BHP billets from Whyalla.

I noticed the old narrow gauge tunnel is still in remarkable
condition and was thinking maybe it should be put on the
Heritage List and preserved,  I have photos of the tunnel
and culvert under the main road SG and also copies
of the Video if anyone is interested.  I have also been
bust making up a photo history of the remaining Narrow
and Broad gauge track around Peterborough, inc
the remaining points and switches.
Until tomorrow enjoy your Trains

Robin
Photos: http://www.railpage.org.au/pix/Peterborough/