Re: What Happens to Aussie trains when the Time Changes?

Thomas P. Grommell <t.p.g.@mindspring.com> wrote in message
80tbef$7rp$2@nntp3.atl.mindspring.net">news:80tbef$7rp$2@nntp3.atl.mindspring.net...
> Hi.
>
> At 2am one Sunday each November, most American communities turn their
clocks
> back one hour from " daylight savings time" to " standard time". Do not
know
> if you have such a time change in Australia, but assuming that you do, I
> have a question.
>
> Amtrak, the US rail system, has an interesting practice when this takes
> place. They accomodate the change by stopping the train for one
hour....and
> then resuming the trip when the hour has passed, and they are back on the
> normal schedule.
>
> If I were a passenger on one of these trains, I would be furious at what
> seems like a foolish and avoidable delay....but some people think the
policy
> makes sense....would like to know: what do the trains in Australia do when
> the
> time changes?

In October, when we put the clocks forward, train will run an hour late for
the rest of their journey.

In March, Countrylink have this charming habit of having the trains leave on
time, then having them run an hour early for the part of their journey after
3am. Would be much better to have them leave an hour late and arrive on
time. Not sure what the other operators do.

--
DaveProctor
thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au