Re: Steam Loco design questions

Ben O'Regan <ben@NOSPAMFORemiratespark.com.au> wrote:

> What's hammer blow?

The belting the track cops due to the weight of the crankpin/big end/
connecting rod etc. swinging up and down as the driving wheels go round.
It's only partially compensated by the balance weights on the wheels,
since the cranks are 90, not 180 degrees out of phase.

> And while I'm at it, what is the purpose of the dish-like mouldings at the
> outer end of the buffer beams on 38 & 60 class (possibly also the 59s as
> well, can't remember off the top of my head right now). Was it something to
> do with the buffer beams being cast?

For pole shunting. I think all the cast steel bed locos have it, so it
may be more of an American thing. Was it ever actually used here?

--
Dr A.P. Whichello                               Phone: +61 2 6268 8191
Electrical Engineering Image Coding Laboratory    Fax: +61 2 6268 8443

"I wish to God these calculations had been executed by Steam!" C.Babbage