Re: Guards to Drive During Olympics?

Rod demonstrated that the best flame wars are those in which an absence of
facts and an excess of opinion prevail, writing in message
<80qjap$b8q$1@news1.mpx.com.au>...
>How old are you David! You talk like you know everything, you must have
many
>years of experience to be so cocky, I would guess at least 75 years old,
>going on 20?
>or are you just a slow developer?
It happens that the answer has long been published at
http://www.ozemail.com/au/~trainman so posting the question demonstrates a
complete lack of research by this almost anonymous poster.

More seriously, if a railway that runs only EMUs and DMUs desires to employ
more drivers, what are the alternatives to training existing guards and
other passenger service persons?  Head-hunting diesel locomotive drivers
from elsewhere?  Employing bus drivers as trainee enginepersons?  Keeping a
few steam engines so shop boys can be promoted to cleaner, then to fireman,
then to driver?

Rgds

Bill