Re: [Melb] POTS (Position of Trains System)

GAreth

Point taken...however if the GPS  currently in use or more to the point not in use, is inadequate its likely to be the
way it was specced or implemeted...Ive worked in IT   and not all systems are created equally (nor implemented correctly
or wisely).....if they are losing trains then there is something wrong with equipment or implementation...not the
priciple. If you can use it for cars, trucks and planes, a train is no different..its just a moving clunk of steel .
Might it not be nice to know exactly where in the loop any train is...not just that it goes in and out!! :-)
As GPS would not work terribly efficiently in the loop a "plug in" location finder system could add to the information
required.

As an observer I question , why in an age of vandalism , anyone would introduce another element into the system,
especially a nice shiny yellow one that just begs for some idiot to hit with a hammer. How many of these yellow wonders
are needed...at what cost.

I never assume at face value that many decisions made by organisations are valid..because many are not. Are these little
yellow do-whatsies going to be introduced on both systems..or do we start to have dis-similar engineering on the one
system.

The past history of the Railways, in many regions does not install in this observer any great degree of confidence in
the competencies of the systems.  After all if they worked properly, no one would complain or deride

Only now do we have an operator (freight) who seems to have the slightest idea that Rail is preferable as a bulk
trasnporter...previous operators have not been particualrly proactive have they.

Gareth ..too many decision are made by concensus or worse by bureaucratics, even some made by Engineering depts are
based on "known" environs. Unfortunately the average worker in that particular system is the lumped with the job of
making it work...and often it wont...through poor design or implementation.

Still If I or others never ask questions we would never become better informed. Thanks Gareth

cheers >:~)) Richard