Re: Aus rail vs aus rail models

Lambing Flat wrote:

> The thing that has struck me about the difference between the two groups is the
> dominance of Victorian content of aus.rail and the dominance of NSW on
> aus.rail.models
>
> A couple of theories
>
> After what ever many years of Jeff, Victorians are too poor to get involved in
> modelling and have to rely on full size railways for their enthusiast fix, as
> observation costs nothing.  ;-)
>
> Most modellers model NSW because it is the most interesting system. ;-)

I am a VR modeller and I would say that NSW is more popular because there are more
ready to run models. In Victoria the only ready to run models that aren't brass are
the Lima B's and S's (now only available by mail order), the Black Diamond Models
1st series T class (available at Box Car Hobbies) and the Powerline G class. The
rolling stock isn't much better. Victorian modellers only have the Lima Overland
cars (repainted Indian Pacific cars) and the Powerline Spirit of Progress cars for
passenger rolling stock. Victorian ready to run freight rolling stock is a few NSW
Powerline repaints and a couple of Lima items. Unless you are a rivet counter like
me who is prepared to spend the time constructing kits or scratch-building rolling
stock there aren't many options for modelling Victoria's railways. NSW has a much
larger range of reasonably accurate ready to run rolling stock and locomotives.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au