Re: 2 EL's on Patrick's

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999 21:47:04 +1100, "Dave Proctor"
<daproc@spambait.umpires.com> wrote:

>CL Burton <clburton@camtech.net.au> wrote in message
>382E8FE3.8E94CCF9@camtech.net.au">news:382E8FE3.8E94CCF9@camtech.net.au...
>> A very interesting development is the new GSR IP advertisement in
>> Saturday's weekend magazine. The loco pictured pulling the IP is an EL
>> in ASR colours.
>> Does this mean GSR are dropping NR as their loco supplier, and changing
>> over to leased re-geared and microprocessor equipped, ASR manned EL's as
>> their main power ?
>
>Would make sense all round. The EL's after all are designed for that sort of
>running. Given that NR is facing some sort of motive-power shortage (with
>all of the new contracts) they would, I presume, like to have all of their
>locos back. It also suits CFCL (or whatever they are) as they have, at the
>moment, a few locos sitting aorund doing nothing, so at least it gives them
>some work. Who knows what sort of a deal GSR would be able to negotiate for
>the EL's, sinceany amount of money is better than NO money coming in.
>Overall, it looks to me like a win/win situation.
Problem here seems to be that National rail has a 5 year hook and pull
CONTRACT to haul GSR'S trains this contract still has about 4 years to
run i'm sure that NR wont be too happy if GSR try to pull out of it
( you know contracts are legally binding) also as well if you listen
to NR management this is one contract that NR make money out of.
regards
Regards Paul Johnston (MNRC)