Re: Sydney Interurban Trains

Harland Sanders <not@accepting.mail> wrote in message
8E7D83B9gocolonel@137.111.222.196">news:8E7D83B9gocolonel@137.111.222.196...
> daproc@spambait.umpires.com (Dave Proctor) wrote in
> <80gr25$341$2@news1.mpx.com.au>:
>
> >I think the first suggestion was right - the old sliding
> >"Smoking/Non-smoking" sign - or the remnants of it. The panels are about
> >the size of a house brick, and are still on some carriages. They are
> >only on motor cars thoguh (DCM, DIM, DJM - not sure about DKM).
> >

> You think the remnants of the sliding sign resemble a metal plate the
> size of a vertical brick?

I did not see vertical in the original post.

(wanders back to archive to check).

> The sliding signs were very wide, and their is little metal left.

There is on the unrefurbished cars - I saw two yesterday.

> Much more likely he meant the vertical metal plate covering the alarm,
> which you can find uncovered versions of on the single deck sections.

They are hardly the size of a brick either.

> btw, Is is really a 'stop' button as several people have said.  I
> remember getting an interurban up the shore one weekend when someone set
> off the alarm.  I recall that it took a while for the driver to stop.

It rings the communication bell continually in the drivers and guards cabs.
The only way it can be stopped (apart from flicking the circuit breaker for
the bell in the cab) is to find the button that has been pressed and reset
it.

Can't say why the driver did not stop immediately - perhaps it was at a
location that would have been operationally difficult to do so (e.g.
Ashfield crossovers).

> Eventually the guard came wandering through the carriages looking
> puzzled.  Turned out some guys were having a punch up in the next
> carriage.

Was it a mutual punch up, or someone getting stuck into someone else?

> When we arrived at Hornsby there were at least 6 police waiting for the
> train.

Good result then.

--
DaveProctor