Re: Tangaras

Joel Cooper wrote:

> Could someone please tell me why there are so few Tangaras on the sydney
> main Northern line? There was a time a few years ago when about 70% or more
> of trains on all lines were Tangaras. Is it possible that some of these
> trains are being restored and held so that when the olympics start, city
> rail can bring out their best trains?

Tangaras are "worked on" during the day because they are used in Night
Safe services. Tangaras are roughly evenly spread through out he system.
You could also be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

> Also I have made an observation about the Sydney Intercity fleet. Back in
> the 80s and early 90s all Intercity trains with red fronts had the first
> carriage as an orange seater (and usually the rest of the train). The ones
> with the blue front were always green seaters. Now I see trains with red
> fronts with green seats. And the green seaters are much more common.

The interurban cars are being refurbished. The new colour seats are
green with grey carpet. If the carpet is orange and they have green
seats, they haven't been converted and they are an old car. To tell if
they are new, more reliably look at the numbering on the side of the
train.
DCM DCT are the oldest.
DIM DIT next built.
DJM (is there a DJT?)
DKM DKT the last built.

> Does anyone know which are the newer trains, the green or the orange
> seaters? I always assumed it was the orange because the trains with the
> automatic vestibule doors always had orange seats, but now they are green.
> Are carriages being restored with green seats?
>
> Regards,
>
> Joel Cooper
> agnsw@ozemail.com.au

rgds