Re: Guards to Drive During Olympics?

In <7vrrn9$j9h$1@news1.mpx.com.au> "Rod" <comtrain@mpx.com.au> writes:

>I have no doubt that people like Craig, will make a go of it, and provided
>they are very carefull and extremely lucky, they will gather enough
>experience to make excellent Enginemen. Three years as a second person,
>learning from hard experience, and watching your Drivers is the only safe
>way to learn to Drive. We went out on our own, as safe Enginemen already.
>You guys will be a danger to yourselves as well as others, untill you learn
>respect for the power of the machine you will be asked to control.

I've been driving for 9 years now as it happens. Starting at Enfield in 1990
as a trainee engineperson, being appointed as an acting driver in early
1994, then coming across to CityRail in late 1994, where I've been since.

But what you say is all true. People just can't 'walk' into a drivers
position - there is more to know than simply driving a train, and this shows
up time and time again when something out of the ordinary happens and if
it's a new person, it's quite likely they will have little or no idea how to
handle the particular situation efficiently and effectively if they've got
little or no previous railway experience.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport