Re: Darwin link

"< Tell >" wrote:

> Richard <richard_snook@primus.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > With  all this talk of the Darwin link has much else come forward about
> > the other" great inland railway"...seems to me though a little pie in
> > the sky that this actuall has more common sense merit than  the
> > "political" extension throught the middle of nowhere??
>
> The great Melbourne to Darwin VFT is about as realistic
> as Rod and Bob joining the Liberals.!  :)
>
> ----Terry Burton

The Melbourne - Darwin VFT is apparently in pie in the sky stuff - the
LAST people they are talking to are anyone who knows anything about
railways.

The Melbourne to Brisbane inland line may be a good move and would be
justified in terms of better grades and alignments and faster transit
times.

But freight trains running at 200 kph Melbourne to Darwin???

Two reasons: The fuel cost would be horrendous, and EVERY road crossing
and pedestrian crossing would have to be grade separated.

Then there is the time accelerating the train and decelerating the train
at crosses if the line isn't double track.

And a railway running through a country town doesn't necessarily mean
riches for that town - as Peterborough in South Australia knows, and
Parkes in NSW may come to know with the direct Broken Hill - Forbes
connection.

It only brings riches if the trains are forced to stop and shunt.   Or
if the town has something to offer first.