Re: Sightings gone man?

Bob <alco@acay.com.au> wrote in message 3811051C.7DB2304@acay.com.au">news:3811051C.7DB2304@acay.com.au...
> I have just unsubscribed from the sightings list after receiving the
> same message (from Tim Hurst) every minute for the last hour. Not sure
> if this is someones idea of a joke or a malfunction in the system. Has
> anyone else had this problem or is the problem at this end?

Hi Bob.

This has just appeared (2 weeks later) - not sure if it is your server not
propogating properly, my server and its feed not receiving properly, or if
it has been caught in cyber space for the last fortnight.

What basically happened was that Tim set his email on vacation - any email
that he received was automatically answered with an "on vacation" email.

Now, the administrator of the mail server set it up incorrectly. Instead of
replying to the author of the email, it was set to reply to the "Reply to"
address. Mostly, these two addresses are the same.

Not in the case of sightings. With sightings, the Reply To address is
sightings, rather than the author of the email.

So what happened was that Tim would receive an email from sightings, which
would be automatically replied to (back to sightings) - he would then
receive this email (and reply to it) - and the whole thing continued.

He was eventually unsubscribed or suspended (not sure which) from sightings,
until he returned.

--
DaveProctor
thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au