Re: Melbourne Trams

Perhaps we could consider the UK experience. In London, buses DO NOT pull
out of the traffic queue to stop. They deliberately stay in lane to prevent
a solid line passing them so they can't get back in. (An RM does not have
startling acceleration to say the least!). In very heavy traffic with parked
vehicles, bus bays do not get used. Net result with buses - not a lot
different from trams.

In fact the main culprits in Melbourne are the local councils who refuse to
allow an adequate passing lane on the approach and departure sides of tram
stops, so that traffic can get around stationary trams. To improve traffic
flow, I'd suggest legalising passing on the right - simple in many
locations.

DW