Re: More 'PIDS'

In article <374D4AAF.2FB76E79@ozemail.com.au>,
David Johnson  <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>mcfergus@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
>> As of 9:45 this morning the Windows desktop had been displaced by a
>> turqoise and black screen, with the clock showing in the bottom right
>> hand corner. The phosphor burns were still visible!
>
>Apparently all the displays at Martin Place are controlled by Sydney Box's train
>describer.  It crashed for a couple of days, so all the screens went blank.

 I had noticed that the lamps on the old indicators were being diven manually,
with the station lamps changes cascading down the panel, instead of happening
'instantly' like occurs when they are on automatic.
 Why didnt the station staff attempt to operate the new system manually? I
would have though that would be a valuble test - see if the staff can drive
the monster when the need for local control arrises - (like when Sydney box
failes :-) Or does 'user interface' testing no come into it ?