Re Costings???

>From the Age computer

>According to Government information on the tram franchises Swanston and
Yarra, >``indicative cost recovery'', or the extent to which the operations
covered their >costs, was about 58 per cent across the two businesses.

>The Swanston Trams network covers Melbourne's north-western and
south-eastern >suburbs and the Melbourne central business district. It
operates 17 routes from four >depots, reportedly provides 66million trips a
year and has 925 staff.

>According to the Government, in 1997-98 it posted ``pro forma farebox
revenue'' of >about $41.8million.

>Yarra trams has 10 routes across Melbourne's north-eastern and southern
suburbs >and the CBD, including three light rail routes.

>It reportedly serves 50 million customers a year, has 726 staff and had
1997-98 pro >forma farebox revenue of about $29.9 million.

Does this last sum in particular work out to 60 cents per trip and the
previous work out to just over 63 cents per trip? The minimum one pays on
the tram is far in excess of this is it not? I know that the division
represents sometimes a return trip and there are  kids level fares etc to
be considered but it means I am being charged nearly $6 when I go to the
city on an offpeak ticket for the rail component

Can anybody confirm that this is the "apportioned amount" for the sort of
travel I for one spend most on. Also what does the level of fare evasion
due to the stupid Metcard system machines involve the loss of? I for one
almost point blankedly refuse to risk any valid ticket in a slot machine
apart from the first to validate the ticket!

Cheers

Trevor