Re: What's that noise?

>From the other side of the globe.....

Standing on the station platform, New Haven, CT, USA.  End of the Electrified
zone to New York City, now 12.5KVAC/60, earlier 11kvac/25.  A flicker of light
catches my eye.  A set of MU's (M1's or M2s?) is sitting. compressors ticking
over.  One pan is down.  It rises, bounces, sets 30 seconds or so and falls.
hmmmmmm.  Process repeats.  Each iteration produces a varying display of
pyrotechnics, up to ca 0.5m long, depending on where in the cycle the drop
starts.  RR staff seem unconcerned....

Apparently some of the internal gear was seeing a fault, dropping the pan.
The fault cleared, reraising the pan, the fault recurred...  I Assume there
SHOULD have been a lock out int here, somewhere....

thanks
dave pierson                        |the facts, as accurately as i can manage,
Compaq Computer Corporation         |the opinions, my own.
334 South St                        |
Shrewsbury, Mass USA                 pierson@gone.enet.dec.com
"He has read everything, and, to his credit, written nothing."  A J Raffles
"....the net of a million lies...."	Vernor Vinge