Re: C lass is dead! long live the X!

In article <WIA%2.31335$MB3.48130@newsfeeds.bigpond.com> "Rod" <berlina@bigpond.com> writes:
>From: "Rod" <berlina@bigpond.com>
>Subject: C lass is dead! long live the X!
>Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 00:40:20 +1000

>Well friends, I just saw a letter authorising the building of a toilet unit
>to be constructed for a new series X.
>It seems that the unit is for X47, which is being converted into a Driver
>owner engine. This X will be the first to emerge in the new Corporate
>colours. The engine is not to be delayed by this modification, and if it is
>not finished, it may be installed on X49, which has already been converted.
>Conversion includes a new flattened nose, whistle remounted, G Class
>windscreens fitted. and a new Paint job!
>I have very dark photo copies which show X47 in a modernised Victorian
>Railways original scheme, substituting the Blue and Yellow with Dark Green
>and Gold. The paint work will be high gloss, and should be of similar
>standard to the northern rivers 421 class.
>Now how would you like 3000hp!  because this same letter reminds the
>Workshop Manager, that these X Class locos are to be upgraded to 3000 hp ??.
>And the conversion should allow for this eventuality.
>It seems to me that a turbo, and wheel creep control would need to be added,
>also that an upgraded Dynamic brake would also be needed.
>The look of the engine would change dramatically, in fact it would need to
>grow higher, like a C.
>Lets hope that it does happen.
>It seems that they miss the C more than we thought, it may have turned out
>to be a costly mistake to give them to NR, and possible scrapping.
>Rod ;o(

A 3000 HP X would be a very useful loco,as 3000 HP is around the optimum HP
for locos with a axle load limitation of up to 23 tonnes.
How would one do it though ?
An 645 -E3B series engine + AR10 or 11 alternator plus turbo and super series
would be around the minimum requirement to gain the maximum benefit , at least
in increasing the load hauling capability to that of a G / 81. (one could keep
the D77 motors.)

Is there enough room in an X for all this ?
The other option , a bit harder to implement , but requireing less space is
the EMD-710 G3A engine like the SRA 82s .
If we go down this road it would make sense then fitting the D87-B series
traction motors as well, especially if FV want to start running really heavy
trains .

Either way , a damm good outcome for FV .

MD