Re: Queensland Rail Tilt Train

In <7hgm55$dab$1@rks1.urz.tu-dresden.de> tk2@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de (tobias b koehler) writes:

>I have some questions about the tilt train of Queensland Rail
>(http://qroti.bit.net.au/fleet/tilt.html). The web page says
>that it's built by the EDI - Hitachi-Itochu Consortium (Walkers
>Limited) at Maryborough, Queensland. As Hitachi is a Japanese
>company, is my assumption right that the tilting system is
>derived from Japanese tilting trains? Does anyone have additional
>technical data about the train (track gauge, powered axles,
>power, working principle of the tilt system)?
>Thank you very much. (Someone guessed that it had to do with the
>German ICT, which is based on the Italian Pendolino - I doubt
>that.)

Hi everyone,

I wrote back to Tobias saying he should cross-post this to 'aus.rail', but
he wrote back saying his server doesn't carry 'aus.rail'. So I'mm
cross-posting this followup to both groups.

Anyway, if you can provide answers to some (or all) of Tobias' questions,
can you make sure you cross-post to both groups, and perhaps also send him
an email response as well? His email address is at the top of the message
body.

I can answer the gauge question - it's a narrow gauge train, running on QR's
3'6" (1067 mm) tracks. The trial X-2000 cars that CountryLink (NSW) borrowed
were running on our standard gauge (1435 mm) networks.

It's interesting that Countrylink declared the trial a flop, but QR, who are
always embracing new ideas for improved levels of passenger rail service,
eagerly decided to go ahead with the concept.

The only new trains that Countrylink have run in the last couple of years
(the weekday Broken Hill train, and the weekend Griffith train), use
refurbished loco-hauled cars which are about 25 years old. 8-)

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport