Re: The Great South Pacific Express

Having worked on the ABC's version of a GSPE doco, I can say that
you guys are tough on Getaway.

It's hard to get enough exterior shots of a working train,
especially when its turnaround is measured in days, there is only
one of this type of train and its loco can be any colour between
blue and maroon. Deisel or electric. As well as nice long wides of
the whole train, you need close-ups and various other shots. Screen
direction is important too. Apart from shooting from a chopper
(expensive) you only get one, two if you're lucky, useable shot from
each pass of the train. And a broadcast crew is only slightly
cheaper to run than the train.

I didn't see nine's offering. The ABC's isn't even cut yet but it
will have a deeper look at the train, from its construction in
T'ville and Ipswich to its first trial runs. People involved in the
building and operation of it will be featured. The hospitality staff
are interesting. Special effort was made to get more exterior shots
of the train; but probably not enough to satisfy the aus.rail crowd
- sorry.

Mick Fanning
ABC TV Brisbane

--
Michael Fanning, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Brisbane
mickfanning@compuserve.com