Interesting operations on the Hillside today

My usual train (8.05am down Blackburn) was diverted onto the centre line
today (Tuesday) between Camberwell and Box Hill instead of using the down
line. I
presume this really stuffed up the expresses having to share the up line
with the local trains but this didn't appear to be so, indeed I only recall
seeing one train leaving Camberwell from platform 2 where the expresses
usually depart, the rest I saw going to the city were on the up line and
were either Alamein trains or appeared to stop all stations ( or at least I
saw one stopping at Hawthorn, the Hitachi just behind it wouldn't have had
much choice...)

Anyone know why?