Re: gunzel?

Oh well, I suppose I will have to give this a go....

Derick Wuen wrote:

> Derick Wuen wrote in message <372e1403.0@iridium.webone.com.au>...
>
> >Newbie to group seeks info on etymology and usage of term gunzel.
>
> big snip
>
> Thank goodness we have sorted that out. Thanks to all who contributed. I’ll
> attempt to summarise.
>
>  Other useless and
> pointless activities mentioned include:
>
> . taking too many railway photographs;

Yes, although most of my photos are of railway stations/station sites.

> . collecting engine numbers;

Yes - I am perhaps the only one on this ng who does this (does anyone else
confess to doing it? <g>)

> . sitting on platforms merely to watch trains;

Yes, but then I send my observations to Rail News Victoria as well.

> . taking 2 or 3 day excursions in rail motors to outlandish places;

No.

> . pedantic concentration on esoteric details, not confined to but especially
> timetables and safeworking;

No.

> . poor social graces (washing habits, unfashionable clothes, boring
> conversations, getting in other peoples’ photographs).

No.

> Most of us would not have the strength of character to follow this lead. So
> for the rest of us, try this….
>
> Self-Administered Gunzel Quotient Test
>
> Answer yes or no to the following….
>
> (1) I have purchased at least one publication devoted to railway enthusiasm.

Yes

> (2) I have heaps of railway enthusiast publications.

Yes

> (3) I am or once was a member of a railway enthusiast society.

Yes

> (4) I am a member or once was a member of many railway enthusiast societies.

Yes

> (5) I took a photo of a train once.

Yes

> (6) I have heaps of photos of trains.

Some; as above, most of my photos are from line inspection holidays.

> (7) I once looked at a railway oriented website.

Yes

> (8) I maintain my own railway website, and look at many others.

Yes

> (9) I once sat on a platform and watched trains go by.

Yes

> (10) I frequently gather with fellow enthusiasts to watch trains go by.

No

> (11) I know what a railmotor is.

Yes

> (12) I have been on at least one railmotor trip to a far distant country
> destination.

No

> (13) I know what a smokebox is.

Yes, although my interest is with diesel and electric, not steam, locos.

> (14) I know how many rivets there are in the smokebox of R711.

No

> For each odd-numbered question answered “yes”, score 1 point; for each even
> numbered question answered “yes” score 10 points.
>
> GQ: less than 10: what possible interest could you have in aus.rail ?
> GQ 11-35: keep at it, you’ll get there eventually.
> GQ: 36-50 solid achievement, suggest you take master classes.
> GQ: 51-69 are you prepared to give master classes?
> GQ: 70+ ok, so was that the number of rivets in the smokebox of R711 before
> or after outshopping after major overhaul on 01/05/58?
>
> In the interests of transparency, my score is 47.

As it happens, my score is also 47.

John
--
John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
Amateur astronomer & Railway enthusiast | Essendon - 1999 AFL premiers