Re: The Age Monday 10.05.99 - VF Article

MarkBau1 wrote in message <19990510023804.11030.00000047@ng-da1.aol.com>...
><< the
>immediate aim was to pour money into meaningful projects such as
>improving the braking systems on its trains. >>
>

>What, they want to move train braking systems into the 20th century!! (and
just
>in time for the 21st century) I applaud it. No doubt this is being done to
>allow real trains (lengthwise) to run in Vic. but I wonder how well it will
>work if other states don't wish to follow FV into the 20th century.

actually Mark,
                       the other States have already gone to the standard
Victoria is now going.
In fact all Victorian wagons available for Inter-State running have been
equipped since '62.
The up-grading consists of Composite Brake Blocks, adjustments to brake
roding [leverage]
and completing the changeover from Triple Valves to W type braking valves.
This will save the CFA a lot of call outs in the Summer , and will save
about $75,000 a year in brake blocks.
Rod ;o)