Re: guard/driver training (was: "Olympic Sprint Platform - Lidcombe")

C. Dewick wrote:

> BTW, an interesting side issue. The Manager, Safeworking, with State Rail
> has lost the authority to sign off new safeworking ammendments, etc. and
> this authority has gone to someone at RSA since they have assumed
> responsibility for safeworking development and management. RSA now 'owns'
> the safeworking manuals and is apparently under 'contract' to the DoT to
> enforce the regulations.
>
> This has got to be the most ludicrous move I have ever heard of, since the
> person at RSA has no current safeworking accreditation (according to what
> a certain person has told me) and is only has management qualifications,
> so how can someone without safeworking accreditation be in charge of
> safeworking standards? Interesting question, isn't it?
>
> I wonder if Eddie Oliver can add some comments about this?

Yes. It is not RSA but RAC. It is surely appropriate that the owner of
the track should control the safeworking procedures for movements over
those tracks (subject of course to overview by the Department of
Transport under the Rail Safety Act). The staffing situation is only
transitional.

Eddie