Re: Sydney Trams

mcfergus@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I'm not sure if it's the same organisation, but there is/was a group with a
> name that's something like the CBD Tramway Association that was planning to
> run two rebuilt R class trams over the Central - Circular Quay light rail
> line. The last I heard of plans to run trams to the Rocks was about ten years
> ago, do you know any further details?

The group, whatever their name is, obtained several R or R1 car bodies
and has the stored at Rozelle.  They have been there for much longer
than the current Light Rail line has been operational so whatever
their initial intended purpose is, it predates the SLR.  As far as I
recall from what I've seen covered in Trolley Wire over the years, the
plan was/is to run some trams on tourist services in the Circular Quay
and Rocks area.... but I don't think its ever been a "short term"
plan. Its more along the lines of get hold of some suitable Sydney
trams in at least reasonable condition, if and when they become
available on the open market, and store them undercover in a dry
location against they day when they can be used.

Cheers,

Bill