Re: Electric Staff in Victoria

>Another intesting point is that Vic seems to have less qualms about
>swinging the staff. In normal operation this almost never ocurred in
>NSW but in Vic things are different. At Frankston the "Motor" hangs on
>to the staff and does not give it up to Frankston box after each trip
>unless it is requested to enable another train to run.

One of the rules which I do recall about automatic electric staff in
Victoria was that there was no requirement to sink the staff when
crossing trains - the loco crew (?) could simply exchange staffs.  I
guess this would then extend so that in auto territory there is no
need to insert the staff in the instrument unless there was a real
need.

AFAIK in attended electric staff operation staffs had to be placed
back into the machines even when trains crossed.

Cheers...JD
John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia                   Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html