Re: R711 - Steaming again

G'day,

Yuri J Sos wrote:

> Also saw WCR aus.railer Craig Haber working hard as conductor on this
> train.

Working hard?  Are you sure you didn't have me confused with somebody
else?? :)

It was a real good day actually (despite being much later than the
circular suggested - that was actually good because I'd have missed out if
it was as originally scheduled).  I was on from Geelong-Ballarat with
R711, T363, BS201, JTA1 (Nomuldi), RMS2360, PCO2.  It was a multiple test
trip - testing the R, it's crews, BS201's bogies, the new PCO, the RMS car
(we tested it's dining capabilities!), and the JTA was there to provide
additional load on the powervan.  At Ballarat we ditched the T and the R
ran solo for the first time.  Departing BXT at 1401, it was a superb run
up Warrenheip bank, accelerating all the way to the top, then waiting 15
mins to cross G525+X53+X42 on 9137, then a 6 min stop at Lal Lal block
point, dash to Gheringhap to cross 9123 G523+G513, then held at Nth
Geelong 'B' for passes going both ways, eventually arrived at Geelong at
1751.

Loco was turned, then returned to Ballarat, non-stop, with yours truly on
the footplate.  Clear night.  Light load.  Heavy grades.  R class in full
voice.  Sensational!

Cheers,
CH.
--