Re: WGR losing its heritage values?

In article <372F883E.38C23F4B@trl.telstra.com.au>, Bob Backway
<b.backway@trl.telstra.com.au> wrote:

They are proposing to rebuild at least
> 3 of the remaining bridges using steel and concrete where previously
> timber was used visably. In at least one case they plan to completely
> alter the design of the bridge by considerably increasing (I believe
> doubling) the span length. A comment was made that "the passengers don't
> even see them anyway". So much for our engineering heritage!

It's always the tough decision for any heritage operator, trying to
balance heritage operations with the operating requirements lais down by
various statutory bodies.
Various operators have succumbed to modern practicalities, CMR replaced
one of their bridges with a culvert, HVR purchased ex South African
carriages, Steamrail has purchased Ex SAR steel cars, PBR even has its
internal arguements with purists who don't want to see an interlocked yard
at Menzies creek because it was never interlocked originally, but it sees
more traffic nowdays than it ever did 'in the days'.
It is an argueable point that no-one ever sees the bridges in the gorge as
it is extremely difficult to access, that passengers don't really see them
anyway etc.  Certainly the full restoration of all timber bridges into
Walhalla would be an impressive feat, on a world class level, but we can't
all have what we want.  Timber beam replacement in later years, maybe
20-30 years down the track may eat into the resources of an organisation
that can no longer afford it, they may count their blessings that their
forefathers in preservation were so far sighted in building steel &
concrete.  Who can tell??

Better that a compromise is made and the project completed than the
project is never completed.  Some of the bridges don't even exist any
more, so what heritage is lost if it isn't there anyway??

--
Stuart Thyer
Photographer-Department of Anatomy