Re: WAGR Tank Engines

HVR is better resourced in many respects for tourist rail operation, and as
the effective host operation of the Pinjarra Rail Heritage Centre with over
$1m of Fed money. The suburban tank would AFAIK be too heavy for Dwellingup
and have too short a range for most of HVR's "mainline" runs. ARHS have a
number of resource problems, not least funding the public liability
insurance premiums necessary to be an operator these days. HVR's focus is
commercially viable tourist rail operation with enough heritage fleet to
create an appropriate atmosphere to suit its market. The SAR (South Africa)
carriages are an illustration of a practical approach cf a purist heritage
preservation approach. The ARHS is constituted to present and, perhaps to a
slightly lesser degree, preserve history.

DW