Re: EL's for QR

>I don't think there is a belief in loco failures Maurie, it's the way of
>the modern world where you have contracted motive power and separate
>operators.  The NRC/Goninan contract is quite complex whereby Goninan is
>expected to provide a set number of locos to be available to NRC at any
>one time or face penalties.  They have to allow for various contingencies
>or face penalty payments.  OTOH if NRC crash a loco, it's still counted as
>available as per the contract and that is why you don't see Goninan rush
>madly to repair these engines as they get paid for them anyway.
>For other operators, if their locos fail, they can't be simply pushed out
>of the way by the next train because it may be a competitors train, and
>the failed loco starts costing them money to be pushed, penalties for
>delaying another operator in their run etc.
>If the EL's were running into NSW, who rescues them if they fail,
>freightcorp, countrylink, RSA, NRC or QR.  You are required to have
>contingency backup plans as part of your operating agreements with the
>track authorities nowdays, even Steamrail has in Vic.

>--
>Stuart Thyer
>Photographer-Department of Anatomy
>University of Melbourne
>One time winner of the 'Imaginary chocolate frog of discretion'

I fully agree with your comments and it seems to me that contracting with
another operator to get help for a broken down EL wouldnt be that difficult to
do given the large number of operators available to help.
Also the GSPE isnt in direct competition with anyone so there isnt the concept
of a competitors train.
Also depending on where a train breaks down will determine whether the rescue
contingency plan can be implemented.
ie what happens if an NRC train fails say at Cook on the TAR and the nearest
NRC loco is in Adelaide, obviously the train will have to pushed out of the
way by whatever is available , even if it isnt in the contingency plan.
Its no different to the situation if a semi trailer full of petrol tips on its
side on the Hume highway and blocks the highway for 24 hours or so.
All the other truck operators dont get any compensation for being delayed.

MD