Re: EL's for QR

In article <3700a24a.0@news.bris.corplink.com.au> "MattyQ" <matticue@corplink.com.au> writes:
>From: "MattyQ" <matticue@corplink.com.au>
>Subject: EL's for QR
>Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:27:56 +1000

>This is to clarify some talk that has been floating around this NG about QR
>buying 2 EL class loco's.

>It is true that the Traveltrain division of QR investigated the possibility
>of purchasing 2 EL class locomotives for the purpose of hauling the GSPE
>between Brisbane and Sydney or any other standard gauge line. The result of
>the investigation was that, if QR was the sole owner of the loco and it was
>to fail, the train would be cleared from the section by best means possible
>and left there. It would then have been QR's responsibility to have the
>locomotive repaired. Bit of a tall order requesting QR diesel fitters to
>attend a failed EL at, say, Taree?

I cant beleive Im reading this.
Is Qrail trying to tell us that they have no ability to fix a loco outside
Queensland.
Any Railroad Company whether it be private or Govt owned has to address the
issue of maintenance of its locos outside its home state if it ever wishes to
get involved in running interstate trains.
How does VLF rescue a failed G in WA or Countrylink a failed XPT in
Melbourne,or ASR a failed CLP in Perth.
Whats ridiculous about sending a team of fitters to Taree or indeed anywhere
else in Australia for that matter.

If Qrail can get a good deal from NR or anyone else then good luck to them ,
but to argue that they cant use ELS because they might break down outside
Queensland is total stupidity.
If sending fitters is out of the question ,(I cant see why) then a simple
contract with NRR or Freightcorp to rescue the dead EL and haul it back to
Queensland for repairs would be easy to implement.
Or why not buy and old loco  , eg an 80 or 48 just for rescuing other locos.

MD