Re: 50 years of Trolley Buses in Wellington NZ

In article <19928-36FE4FC6-27@newsd-113.bryant.webtv.net>,
  PCCSTREETCAR@webtv.net (John Engleman) wrote:
> The trackless trolleys are what originally brought me to Wellington ...
> To me Wellington ... has quite a lot going for it, including the trackless
> trolleys and the electric commuter trains ...

You are forgetting the cable car, surely.

To me the disadvantage with Wellington is that the rail lines terminate on one
edge of the CBD, and for better or worse the bus system is vital to take
commuters on from there, with all the downside of changing modes.  It would be
similar to Sydney with no lines past Central.  On the other hand, IIRC public
transport has advantages because of limits to the road capacity to the north,
and parking in the city.

Has any thought ever been given to extending the heavy rail underground,
perhaps a loop line or even continuing to the airport?	It might reduce bus
usage but would much increase train travel (from cars) with many flow-on
benefits.

LB.