Re: A HOARY OLD QUESTION

Ben Staples wrote:

> MarkBau1 wrote in message
>
> **SNIP**
>
> >If I had to come up with a definition it would be:
> >
> >Loco: Able to haul rollingstock, no passenger carrying equipment.
>
> You seem to forget track machines here (which can haul rollingstock).
> Maybe the definition should be a locomotive is a rail bound vehicle whose
> primary purpose is to haul rollingstock.

What would HyRail's be classed as then?

While up at Boort a couple of years back, we saw 2 VicGrain employees using a
Toyota ute to "shunt" empty grain hoppers, one at a time, along a siding. Now
while this was hauling rollingstock (albeit only a short distance), it was
using a road vehicle, alongside the track. Something to ponder WRT the
definition......
(IIRC, there is a photo of this in Rail News Victoria around late 96, for
those who want proof)
At the same time though, there was a rail tractor also in the yard, but not
being used.

John
--
John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
Amateur astronomer & Railway enthusiast | Essendon - 1999 AFL premiers