Re: Signalling in Victoria

> An easy way to tell if a semaphore dwarf was two position or 3 position is to
> look at where the "painted"semaphore arm was. If it was above the centre it is
> a 2 pos, 3 pos had the arm "painted" below the centre.
>
> I was toild, but I have no evidence that there was a wire operated 3 pos dwarf
> on SAR I think. Don't ask me how it worked though.
>
> I'll dig through some signal slides to see where my photo's of 2 pos semaphore
> dwarfs were.

I just sent Chris Gordon an image of the two-position lower quadrant
mechanically operated dwarf at the Showgrounds.  This signal had the "arm"
painted exactly across the centre.  Chris' page shows a mechanically operated
UQ two-position dwarf with the arm below the centre, and another image of
mine shows a three position UQ motor driven dwarf with the arm below the
center.

I don't have any photo showing a dwarf with the arm painted above the center -
but that doesn't mean there weren't any.

JD

John Dennis
Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html