Re: Railway between Perth and Kalgoorlie has been cut

Peter Mason wrote in message <7d9f2n$ee8@mo.nabaus.com.au>...
>where the line is cut, the extent of damge, and the
>estimated repair time?
>
>>the east-west line has been cut at Lake Julia 422km east of Perth 70km
west of  Koolyanobbing. Damage is not as severe as first thought and it is
expected that the line could be reopened by Sat March 27. Tomorrow's IP is
naturally cancelled and the Prospector rail motor is operating between Perth
and Merredin with a connecting omnibus to Kalgoorlie.
The Kalgoorlie-Esperance line is also cut at Widgemooltha and Westrail are
unsure of reopening date.
The narrow gauge network has not escaped with ex-Cyclone Elaine bringing
heavy rains last Saturday  to the Moora area(130 km ne perth) and as well as
extensive property damage to Moora, the Midland line to Geraldton has been
badly damaged. There is a secondary line from Northam (Avon Yard) to
Geraldton via Dalwallinu and Mullewa which suffers from extensive 20-30KMH
speed restricions due to the state of the track. This could be used as an
alternative but I am not sure if the line has not been cut permanently
between Dalwallinu and Wubin (22km), perhaps more info on the status of this
line may be forthcoming from other readers

Regards

Noel Forster