Re: Reopening NSW branch lines

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 05:55:53 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
Bromage) wrote:

>I've only managed to catch snippets of information about Friday's
>announcement. There were about 30 lines listed last year, which has been
>cut down to a short list of 13 - 6 for freight (not including the
>previously announced Harden - Blayney and Kandos - Gulgong lines) and 7
>for "heritage" operations.

G'day.

Whilst I did not hear the news report, I would suggest that the lines
listed were those for which Expressions of Interest had been received
and were thus being "considered" for re-opening.   Not that many, if
any, would be finasncially viable, either for commercial or tourist
use.

I suspect that the only lines we will see re-open are the previously
announced branches:

Blayney to Cowra  - speclially following the recent advert. for the
conveyance of 80,000 tonnes per annum of silica quartz pebbles from
Cowra to Lithgow;

Kandos to Gulgong - I have been told that there will be an
announcement on Monday that the first section to Mudgee will be
re-opened this year (wouldn't be an election around, would there???)
and the remainder through to  Gulgong by the middle of next year (some
major event in September or so, which may require diversion of
National Rail freights, I hear.

>Also of note is the announcement that the CityRail fare zone will be
>extended from Lithgow to Bathurst from 1st July. 2 car diesel trains are
>being considered for additional services.

Interesting.  Using what two car diesels?   Some would be surplus when
the Dapto to Kiama electrification is completed, but these are
required for Hunter services to replace the 620 class.

Unless, of course, in the very short term, State Mine Railway at
Lithgow was to hire its two car diesel sets back to the Government?
Especially as Bathurst will be a swinging seat with the retirement of
the long term labour representative.

One could anticipate the service to be:

Lithgow-Bathurst (early am placement service)
Bathurst-Lithgow
Lithgow-Mudgee (off the Central West XPT)
Mudgee-Lithgow (with Sydney connection)
Lithgow-Bathurst (early evening)
Bathrust-Lithgow (placement for servicing and maintenance at Lithgow
Maintenance Centre.

Just dreaming - or am I?   We'll know in a week's time.

Hunslet.