Re: BLs vs NRS

Maurie Daly wrote in message ...

**SNIP**

>Locos like the 81 / BL are around the optimum weight for their HP.
>Cowan Bank is 1:40 so a NR is good for 1250 tonnes.
>The closest US equivalent to the NR is the GE 4CW40 which weighs a mere
>204 tonnes.

Are you sure that Cowan bank is only 1:40. From memory Cowan Bank is closer
to 1:30. I will talk to the surveyor on Monday and get the exact steepest
grade between Hawkesbury River station and Cowan station.

Hell, surely someone in this news group will know how much an unassisted NR
can pull up Cowan Bank???